Crime shows like Law and Order are full of intricate murder plots. But reality is more prosaic.
There have been 21 murders in Seattle this year, barely enough to fill a season of Law and Order. And most of those would have been solved very quickly, unlike the convoluted plots on crime shows.
Here’s how you can avoid being a statistic:
- Don’t do drugs. Many of the victims seem to have been killed in drug-related incidents.
- Don’t be a black man. They’re vastly over-represented on the murder list.
- Don’t join a gang. Several of the murders seem to be gang-related.
- Avoid bad areas of town. In the Seattle murder list, that would be any street with the words Cherry, Rainier, Aurora, or MLK in it. Even if you’re doing nothing wrong, you could get killed by a “stray bullet.”
- Avoid nightclubs in general. Several of the victims were killed outside nightclubs.
- If you see a crazy person, make yourself scarce. The last five victims were all shot by a crazy guy.