Chart: How Redistricting Will Help The GOP

December 21, 2010
By

Now that the census reapportionment numbers have been released, here’s your handy guide to what it all means.

Bottom line:

1. Republicans will gain 8 to 14 seats in the House, depending on how redistricting goes.

2. The Republican presidential candidate will have six more electoral votes in the Bush/McCain states, making it that much easier to get to 269 (if the electoral college is tied 269-269, the president will be elected by the votes of the 50 state delegations in the Republican-controlled House.)

(In the chart below, I’ve been very conservative in selecting which states the GOP presidential nominee could win; there’s plenty of room for growth.)

25 Responses to Chart: How Redistricting Will Help The GOP

1. MikeN on December 21, 2010 at 8:47 am

I think McCain may have masked how risky Arizona is. If New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada voted for Obama so could they. Raul Grijalva even got reelected there after calling for a boycott of the state.

2. PoliPundit on December 21, 2010 at 9:07 am

Unlike Nevada and Colorado, Republicans did very well in Arizona in 2010. Governor Jan Brewer won in a landslide, despite some glaring gaffes. And the GOP now controls 5 of 8 House seats, both Senate seats, and both houses of the state legislature.

Arizona is the Democrats’ Minnesota, a perennial heart-breaker.

3. AZ/BC on December 21, 2010 at 9:53 am

That chart seems to take over the browser whenever you go to your home page. Hangs up while loading which takes a while. I am on a high speed connection too.

4. anonymous un-RINO on December 21, 2010 at 10:45 am

That does appear to be a fairly even handed take, Poli. Kudos.

But then, it does appear to spell doomsday for the D candidate in 2012. Just flip one of their 10 Leaner states, and the D loses.

Your data does not reflect any wave effects, and there will be some. I still predict that the Midwest will swing away from the D’s in 2012, especially with their opposition having such overwhelming control of so many of the state governments.

5. ATTILA on December 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

Even if the GOP does well, the damage has already been done,and is most likely irrevocable. It will just be a mopping up exercize, with gelded elephants running the show.

6. phineas gage on December 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm

START clloture–’Eleven Republicans voted yes — Alexander, Bennett, Brown, Cochran, Collins, Corker, Isakson, Lugar, Murkowski, Snowe, and Voinovich’ (HA)

The GOP gets a headstart in caving to the left. Should be a great new year, at least in Russia.

7. The Trolls on December 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

The GOP gets a headstart in caving to the left.

This has been a great week for America, folks.

And it is only Tuesday.

Look for the GOP to fracture in 2011.

Bring plenty of popcorn.

8. Led 0bama Zeppelin on December 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Speaking of fracturing, the country comes to mind…thanks to cancerous libs and their failed policies:

h/t Kevin Williamson at the Corner:

“Thin-skinned, vain, prone to seeing conspiracies — Barack Obama now broadens his Richard Nixon impersonation with the imposition of price controls. Obamacare is the gift that keeps on giving — giving us higher real taxes, a bigger deficit, a bloated federal state, and now, if past is prologue, significantly lower quality and less innovation in the field of health care. As some of the smarter critics predicted, Obamacare, butt-ugly as it was in legislative form, is turning into a real beast in the hands of the executive-branch geniuses charged with implementing it and dreaming up the new regulations to make that possible.”

The presidential election can’t come quick enough…and there will still be plenty like this to hang libs with when that day arrives.

9. TomT on December 21, 2010 at 5:40 pm

“Look for the GOP to fracture in 2011.”

Based on the performance over the last couple of days, I don’t think 2011 is necessary. It has already happened for no apparent reason. It is obvious that most of these Senators wanted it to happen. Is there any good Republicans left in the Senate? We need to do some major house cleaning in 2012. The Senate is our biggest weak spot.

10. unclefred on December 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Attila

I’m torn in how to approach this. Reason or a ball bat. I guess I’ll try a bit of both. As long as a majority of this country is willing to shoulder the burden it’s never too late. Look around you. Millions, many many millions of people who, other than voting, never paid more than five minutes attention to politics awoke. They awoke and dug in. They haven’t gone back to sleep and a huge percentage are busily learning what happened in the last couple, few. several, many decades when they weren’t paying attention. You ought to be dancing in the streets, not singing the blues because it didn’t happen one or two decades ago.

Would I prefer that this awakening happened when I was 12. Hell yes. Didn’t work out that way. I am I concerned or worse because I”m not facing the daunting task of fixing this mess when I was 20 instead of now? You bet.

But here is my thinking. I believe in the essential core of America. The left has been poisoning it for at least 5 decades, yet it still endures. It endures and when this country was threatened with overwhelming statism and control they stood up, organized and fought back with a vengeance. Is this going to be easy? Hell no. But look around. You have millions of allies who are only looking for direction. You are someone who’s been in the fight a while, perhaps a long while, and now you bitch because your allies turned up later than you might have liked?

As long as you are on the green side of the grass sir, it’s not to late. It’s only harder. Ok it’s one hell of a lot harder, but as long as people are willing to lift it’s NOT too late.

It’s hard to be sure, but I’ll bet you $50.00 at two to one that I’m older than you. That I’m far closer to the end of my path than you are. Hell man if I’m game for another round or two, or however many it takes to restore the greatest nation that man has ever created, why aren’t you? God knows I don’t want to have to do this, especially at this point in my life, but what better epitaph than “he helped to save his nation”?

Lose the darkness for a time and get in harness and help fix this mess. We have a lot to do in the next 2 years, and for the following 20.

11. ATTILA on December 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Good missive unclefred , but my cynicism grows. I helped collect scrap iron,newspapers,grease, etc. as a little snot during ww-2. my ass grows weary of this crap. After the sheeple of this nation acquiesced in the repeal of DADT,I’m not sure they are worth saving anymore.

12. ATTILA on December 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Where’s my $50.00

13. edward on December 21, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Attila, I’ll give it to you but you’ll have to visit my University to collect…… LOL

UncleFred, Nicely said…. (stands and salutes)

14. ATTILA on December 21, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I would rather open a vein than visit a citidal of “higher learning”.

15. edward on December 21, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Hey, we can do that! I’ve got nursing students who’d love to practice on you… they’d even give you a lolipop afterwards…. LOL

16. Mad Dog on December 22, 2010 at 5:05 am

SO I think we can assume that even if The Obama Messiah is reelected, he will have to deal with a solidly Republican House throughout his term.

17. Let's Not Mention That on December 22, 2010 at 5:39 am

“Texas gained four electoral college delegates (and therefore four new seats in the House). But the Republicans will never win a national election again if Texas turns blue. And pretty much all the growth in Texas can be attributed to a growth in the Latino population there.”

Build the wall.

18. Gov. H. Barbour on December 22, 2010 at 5:49 am

Nod, nod, wink, wink.

19. DADT... on December 22, 2010 at 6:41 am

Gone, gone, gone!

20. ATTILA on December 22, 2010 at 7:37 am

Mctillpussy is happy,now that he can emerge from the closet

21. DADT... on December 22, 2010 at 7:39 am

ATTILA fondly recalls the Navy showers.

22. edward on December 22, 2010 at 7:39 am

“Everyone will be in favor of Obamacare once their understand it……”

Yeah, Yeah….. but let’s not mention that

23. Sarah P. on December 22, 2010 at 8:35 am

If I were Queen of America!

Not King. Not Duke. Not Prince.

24. oxnard water damage on January 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

whats up, just wanted to let you know that your page has not been showing properly in ie 8 but after few refreshesh it was eventually fine again. Keep up the good work.